A Humboldt County resident has died with COVID-19, and 45 new cases of the virus have been reported since Friday. A total of 3,980 county residents have tested positive for the virus.
The person who died was in their 60s, marking the county’s 40th death related to COVID-19. Humboldt County Public Health and the Emergency Operations Center staff share their sympathies with all community members who have lost friends and loved ones to the virus.
One previously reported hospitalization of a person who tested positive for COVID-19 was determined to be unrelated to the virus and has been removed from the county’s count. Public Health is reporting one new hospitalization today for a cumulative total of 165.
Humboldt County Public Health will hold a Johnson & Johnson vaccination clinic on Friday, May 14, at the Samoa Women’s Club located at 115 Rideout Ave. in Samoa. Clinic hours are scheduled from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. This clinic is for county residents age 18 and older. Walk-ins are welcome, but registration is strongly encouraged. Sign up in advance at myturn.ca.gov.
The daily and weekly datasets on the Humboldt County Data Dashboard have been updated. Some highlights include:
- The county’s confirmed case rate remains lower than the state and nation at 2,910 per 100,000 residents. California’s rate is 9,249 per 100,000 and the nationwide rate is 9,915 per 100,000 residents.
- The 80+ age group represents 2.5% of total cases, 26.5% of hospitalizations and 22.5% of deaths locally.
- The 20-29 age group continues to represent the highest number of local cases at about 23%.
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) recently released updated guidance for the use of facial coverings, public health recommendations for fully vaccinated individuals and a handout with information about reducing COVID-19 transmission at gatherings. Follow the links below to view the updates.
- Guidance for the Use of Face Coverings: cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/guidance-for-face-coverings.aspx
- Guidance for Fully Vaccinated Individuals: cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID-19-Public-Health-Recommendations-for-Fully-Vaccinated-People.aspx
- Guidance for the Prevention of COVID-19 Transmission for Gatherings: cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/COVID-19/Guidance-for-the-Prevention-of-COVID-19-Transmission-for-Gatherings–en.pdf
CDPH has also released fact sheets in multiple languages with basic information about the three vaccines currently authorized for emergency use. Follow the links below to learn more.
- English: cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/COVID-19/Which-Vaccine-is-Right-for-Me-Fact-Sheet.pdf
- Spanish: cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/COVID-19/Which-Vaccine-is-Right-for-Me-Fact-Sheet-es.pdf
- Hmong: cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/COVID-19/Which-Vaccine-is-Right-for-Me-Fact-Sheet–hmn.pdf.
For more information or to find materials in more languages, go to cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/Get-the-Facts-on-Vaccines.aspx#Downloadable.
Sign up for COVID-19 vaccination: MyTurn.ca.gov
Check for vaccine availability at a local pharmacy: Vaccines.gov
Local COVID-19 vaccine information: humboldtgov.org/VaccineInfo
Humboldt County COVID-19 Data Dashboard: humboldtgov.org/Dashboard
Follow us on Facebook: @HumCoCOVID19
Humboldt Health Alert: humboldtgov.org/HumboldtHealthAlert